Załuski Józef Andrzej, Polish bibliophile and writer, bishop of Kiev

With the help of his brother Andrzej Stanislaw (1695-1758) Józef Andrzej Załuski enriched the book collection he inherited by his uncle, the bishop A. Chrysostom (1648-1711), and so created one of the most conspicuous libraries in Poland, which was given to Polish people and opened to public readers of Warsaw in 1747 (in 1795 the Załuski library was transferred to Petersburg by order of Catherine II, and then partially returned to Poland in the twentieth century after the peace of Riga). Author of important bibliographic works (Bibliotheca poetarum Polonorum, 1754; Bibliotheca Polona magna universalis, 10 volumes, 1742-73), Załuski wrote also religious and occasional verses of a classicist tuning, which were published together with works of other Polish poets of the Saxon age in the five volumes of Zebranie rytmów (“Collected poems…”, 1752-56). As a dramatist he followed foreign models, among whom Metastasio.

Leave a Comment